Friday, March 9, 2012

Jamaica - Day Two
March 9, 2012

After a lovely, albeit sweaty night sleep in our "tent," we opened our front window to this amazing view!

They serve breakfast from 7:30-10:30. We arrived around 10. There is no menu, they will make whatever you would like to order. The coffee is delicious and the fruit they served to start with was amazing. I had the best French Toast I've ever eaten and Rick had a Jamaican specialty, Ackee and cod.

After breakfast, we had our official tour of the resort and signed up for our special experiences. I'll tell you about them as we experience them. On the tour, I saw a gazebo with a couple of hammocks that looked inviting so I grabbed my iPad from the room and decided to make the "transition" to being on vacation.

It's really hard for me to clean my mind of everyday "home" stuff or to stop thinking in "schedule mode" planning every minute of the day. I thought it would take me a while to make the transition. Actually all it took was the swaying hammock, the aqua sea, Bob Marley singing on the iPad, and an incredible banana daiquiri! What a way to spend the time between breakfast and lunch.

Lunch was delightful. We sat with the couple we had met the night before and chatted. So far everyone we have met here has come from the US. After lunch we thought we should take a nap. Afterall we had exerted ourselves so much.

I couldn't stay in, however, so I put on my swimsuit and took the minute walk to the little infinity saltwater infinity pool. I was feeling a little sluggish so I decided to do what I thought was water aerobics. I was all by myself so I danced and ran in place buoyed up with a swim noodle, singing reggae songs, and waving my arms around underneath the water, I did this for more than 30 minutes. Then I texted my trainer, Stacy, to see if this counted as exercise (she said it was). It actually was fun and tired me out so after a little more hammock time, I joined Rick in the room for a pre-dinner nap.

Dinner was served on the flat roof of my hammock gazebo. We dined by candle and starlight along with the light of the waning full moon. I had mentioned to Karen, who gave us our tour, that I didn't eat fish or meat except chicken. She showed us the menu for the days we would be here and it looked like I could make due. Making due doesn't quite cut it here though. When we arrived at dinner, our server asked me how I would like my chicken breast prepared. They were serving steak and lobster so I told them just to grill it like the steak.

OMG! I think this was the best meal of my life! Started with a red pea soup, then a Jamaican Cesar salad, our entrees' were the same except for the different kind of protein. My chicken breast was grilled to perfection with a delightful melange of onions, peppers, and mushrooms covering it. It was accompanied by some amazing mashed potatoes and delicious sauted carrots. This time I had a banana daiquiri made with vodka rather than rum. Perfecto!

Dessert was slivers of coconut cake and banana cream pie.

Now we are back in our bird's next playing on our computers. Oh how I loved this day! The best is that we get three more of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment