We needed to take two trains to get there and had to switch trains at the Piramid (the Italian spelling) stop, so we went above ground to see the pyramid. It is actually a real pyramid copied by Gaius Cesius, a rich Roman magnate around 30 BC as a burial place for himself. Apparently, the Mark Antony/Cleopatra scandal brought exotic Egyptian styles into vogue in Rome at the time. It is smaller than the ones in Egypt but pretty cool.
Our next train ride was only about 30 minutes to Ostia Antica and cheap too! Only 1 Euro each way for both trains. Ostia is a town dating back to the 4th century BC. It was on
I found it mind boggling that archeologists could have learned so much from so long ago. The site was huge. The restoration that was done over the year seems to h
We ended the day with a lovely meal at Mama Angela's restaurant which conveniently is next door to our hotel. It began with Prosecco and ended with Limoncello with fabulous pasta in between (Rick had lamb). Unlike other trips, I think it will be no problem for me finding things I like to eat in Italy!
Tomorrow we leave Rome for Lake Como!
I loved this place. I was shocked at how well-preserved it was. Walking down those cobblestone roads and imagining all that had gone before me was thrilling.
ReplyDelete