Monday, August 11, 2014

France and Switzerland 2014 - Day 11

Sunday, August 10, 2014

What a delight to sleep in this morning! We made it to breakfast with about 15 minutes to spare. The Swiss are very prompt. The buffet was to close at 11 and it did! My breakfast of bacon and scrambled eggs was fabulous though.

After breakfast, we wandered the grounds of the hotel and then rested prior to boarding

the boat that circles the lake. It's much like a bus which stops at many piers around the lake. We got off at Zurich. Rick and Werner then took trolleys to the Tram Museum. Susan and I headed over to a neighborhood where they stayed the last time in Zurich.

We wandered around the narrow streets looking in shop windows. Most shops are closed on Sunday. I didn't take many pictures. I think I enjoy rural and village pictures more than city ones.


We met Rick and Werner in time to take a boat back to our hotel to get ready for dinner. We were meeting some very special people in Werner's and Susan's lives; the family of Werner's secretary, Hanna, when he was in Germany, in military government, after World War II. Hanna, is no longer alive but we were met by her husband, Erich, his girlfriend, Ester, Matthias, her son, and his wife Ines, their son Felix, Regina, Hanna's daughter and her husband, Peter.

It was an amazing, formal dinner that lasted from 6 to 10pm in a private dining room in the Storchen hotel. A few of the conversations were in English but most were in French and German. It was incredibly hot. The Swiss don't seem to value air conditioning. I kept surreptitiously putting ice cubes into my napkin and then rubbing them on my wrists and face to cool myself down. Everyone was talking so much I don't think they noticed!

After a group picture, we took a taxi back to the hotel. Matthias promised we would see them again in Boston when we celebrate Werner's 100th birthday on 12/26/2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment