Up at 5am and breakfast at 7:30. Our bodies are trying to figure out just what is going on.
While Rick and I ate breakfast, we reminisced over breakfasts of travels past. I'm amazed how clear the memories are and how many we remembered. My theory of magical moments prevails!
We were so excited about the arrival of Werner, Susan, and Kyle that we couldn't do anything but wait in the lobby of the hotel to see them the moment they got here. They had some snafus at the airport so they were delayed until about noon but it was worth the wait. Werner looks wonderful. In fact they all looked pretty fine considering their long trip.
While they were napping, Rick and I headed over the the Musee d'Orsay. We took a city bus which doubled as a little sightseeing tour. It drove right through the courtyard of the Louvre so we saw its glass pyramid.
I'm not one for crowds or art museums (can't believe I'm admitting this publicly) but I'm a sucker for some Impressionist paintings. The museum is beautiful and huge. Saw some Van Gogh's and discovered a new painter who is probably famous but new to me, Alfred Sisely. Built in an old train station, I loved the museum's humongous clocks. I also loved the design of one of its restaurants.
After leaving the museum we walked part way back to the hotel along the Seine which was lovely. I wimped out and we hopped on a bus for the rest of the way.
We trusted Rick Steves for a dinner suggestion and he did not fail us! Tucked in a little street off the Place des Vosges, Les Bonnes Soeurs, was a perfect choice. Because Rick Steves said they had "the best fries I've had a Paris," I went
with that. They were good but then again, I haven't had many fries in Paris!
This is Kyle's first trip to Paris. Although I've been here two other times, I love seeing the city through his "new" eyes! I don't take the sights for granted but it is so exciting to gaze upon them for the first time. I'm so glad he's with us so I can experience it again.
With that in mind, we took a taxi to the Seine and went on an evening cruise. The energy of the city and the people enveloped us.
The banks were filled with people sitting and talking, waving, and drinking wine. As we began our voyage, Pharrell's Happy song was wafting from a club on the shore. Perfect! It's hard taking photos on a moving boat, at night, with flood lights and an iPhone but I love this one as it reflects the Impressionist paintings we saw earlier in the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm going to enjoy "traveling" with you again! Looks like you are off to a great start, and so happy your traveling companions are there!
ReplyDelete