August 7, 2014 (Actually posting from Zurich because of poor internet connection on the barge.)
Our field trip today was driving along
the ‘Route des Grandes Crus’ and through the vineyards of
the Côte du Nuits. These vineyards are incredibly old. This marker is from 1723.
We
stopped at the Château of Clos de Vougeot, which was the perfect setting to
learn about the importance that wine played in Burgundy’s history. Clos de
Vougeot is a wine farm established in the 12th century by monks. In
the 16th century a chateau was built. It is not a working vineyard
now but it now is a museum with the original wine-making equipment.
We then went to experience a wine
tasting at the Domaine Rion Bernard. It was really
interesting to taste the
different classes of wine Burgundy produces. When we returned we were served a lovely lunch and the spent the afternoon on the deck cruising until dinner. (I will post a page of photos of our meals when we get home and have better internet. They were a gorgeous as the pictures of nature!) What a life!
Among the beautiful trees and meadows we
observed, we were curious about trees we have
seen along the way. They seem to
have ball-shaped growths. I don’t know the name of the trees they grown on or
if they are not picky about what trees but Jim told us that they are Mistletoe
and are parasitic on the trees. I always thought Mistletoe was cultivated. Go
figure!
Dinner was another adventure in dining
for me. We started with salad niceoise with scallops and black pudding. The
black pudding actually was little black disks that were delicious. I totally
ignored the fact that when we asked what they were made from we were told it
was blood sausage. I thought they were made from quinoa, which I really am not
fond of, so I ignored what they were!
The salad was followed by duck prepared
two ways; one shredded and deep fried to a crunchy texture and the other sliced
with a sweet and sour sauce. This course was followed by a sticky toffee
pudding in a butterscotch sauce. We listened to Segovia while dining. Very
civilized!



No comments:
Post a Comment