We haven't had any internet to speak of all week so I've been writing everyday but saving to a word document:
It's starting to get hard writing
what's happening each day because I don't want to take the time to stop and
write for fear I will miss something! I try to write in the evening but I find
I’m too tired so I wait until the morning and then I’m afraid I’ll forget
something. I don’t want to spend more time documenting than experiencing but
then I know how wonderful it is to have the journal of our travels to relish in
the future. Oh, the dilemmas of the very fortunate. Oy vey!
So day 5: The activity for the morning
was visiting an Abbey. At the last minute, I decided to stay on the barge with
Susan and Werner. That left Rick and Kyle to explore with Jim, our guide.
Learning of Werner’s interest in tools, on the way back to the barge, they
checked out what can only be described as the French version of the places
visited on American Pickers.
When they returned, Susan, Werner, and
I joined Rick to go “tool shopping.” We drove through
When we returned to the barge, we were
served a delightful lunch of quiche and salads. At each moment, it feels like
things can’t get better!
The rest of the afternoon was spent
sitting on the deck watching the bucolic scene passing by, taking lots of
pictures, dozing, and in Susan and Kyle’s case, taking a
bike ride on the tow path. A 50 minute ride through a tunnel broke up the views of the countryside and provided a “much needed break from the beauty.” Ha!
In the late afternoon, Abby served us
drinks. I had a Kir which I’ve enjoyed in the past in the U.S. but somehow it
tasted better floating on a barge in Burgundy which the drink had its origin!
The barge was parked for the night
around in a lovely little inlet. Cedric and Jim invited us to play the French
version of Bocce called Petanque. I have the worst hand-eye coordination ever
but decided to be a good sport and try. Cedric and I were a team facing Jim and
Rick. I sucked but we made a come from behind victory. Kyle and Susan returned
just as we were finishing so we played another round with Susan and I as a team
against Rick and Jim. Susan must have
been really good because we won again!
Dinner was served at 7:30. It was
unbelievable! The starter was crawfish risotto and miracle upon miracles, I
tried it and loved it! We spent time on deck in the twilight before retiring to
our cabins. What a life!


No comments:
Post a Comment