We did hop off to find a restaurant for lunch that Kyle had heard of near the Arc de triomphe. After walking a mile through a beautiful residential neighborhood we discovered that the restaurant was closed. Go figure, it was 4 in the afternoon! We quickly found a sidewalk cafe that was open. We started lunch outside but soon were inside due to a thunderstorm.
We had tickets to a concert at Sainte Chapelle and were supposed to meet Rick and Werner there at 6:30. Time moved too quickly and after a flurry of texts with Rick and instructions from our waiter, Susan, Kyle, and I decided to brave the Paris subway to get there. Long story short...we arrived a minute after the concert started at 7:01! It was a great adventure though.
The concert was a string quartet playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Rick and I had
experienced this during our first trip to Paris in 2002. It was exquisite and we were so glad we could share it with the others. This time was even better than I remembered. Between the stained glass windows of the chapel and the theatrics of the performers it was quite lovely.
As it was still light after the concert, we decided to explore one more sight and took a city bus to Monmartre and the Sacre-Coeur. After getting of the bus, Susan, Werner and I hailed a taxi to get up to the top while Kyle and Rick walked. We didn't expect to find a party-like atmosphere of tourists and locals sitting on the steps to
greet the sunset! Between the street performers and the guys walking around selling beer from a case on their shoulder, it was quite a happening. It was also stunning to experience the city below from our perch.


Karen, what app are you using? I'm trying to do a search for Rick Steves and nothing comes up. I want it for our upcoming trip to the UK
ReplyDeleteI bought the Rick Steves guidebook for France on Kindle and access it on my iPad. xoxox
ReplyDelete