The scenery was beautiful. Very flat with lots of sheep, cows, ponies and wind mills. We saw a couple of old fashioned ones but most lots of the new kind, We past fields and fields of tulips. Unfortunately, they had all been harvested so all we saw were the remnant leaves. It must have been gorgeous a couple of weeks ago.
Enkhuizen is a living history museum. In the 70s they moved about a hundred different buildings to form a reenactment of a Dutch fishing village. It was not a bit cheesy.
They had a few people to explain things but you didn't have to feel uncomfortable talking to an adult pretending to be back in history. There were animals, shops, some demonstrations, etc. There were a few cafes and shops that sold souvenirs but it was all tasteful and definitely not a Disney World or Colonial Williamsburg. Everything here seems to done comfortably and unpretensiously. The people are friendly but not overly so,
We leave Amsterdam tomorrow for Zeeland on the North Sea. We'll rent a car to drive there and are considering stops at The Hague, Delft, and a huge tulip park. I'll miss Amsterdam but I feel like we have seen most all of it. I feel so lucky to have this adventure!
The travelogue is phenomenal. I do feel like I'm right there with you (ask Rick if he minds :) )
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you missed the tulips in bloom but it sounds as though you are having a wonderful experience. I simply love the Netherlands, and can't wait until I have a chance to return. Your blog is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day, dear Karen.