We started out visiting Begijnhof, literally "women island." As you see from the map is a courtyard
While Susan and Werner explored the Waterlooplein Flea Market,
Rick and I walked over to the Jewish Museum. They've put the museum in two old synagogues that are connected. The museum exhibits included the history of Jews in Amsterdam starting in the 1400's with Sephardic Jews who fled Spain. The museum had one whole synagogue dedicated to educating people about the Jewish religion. The other synagogue was mostly a description of the Jewish community before and after WWII. Again, a moving experience.
After the Jewish Museum we walked over to the the Dutch Theater which was where the Nazis gathered the Jews before sending them off to the camps. The facade of
the building is still there but the
only thing inside that this left as you can see from the picture is what looks like the brick outline of the stage area of the theater where they have a memorial obelisk. There is a modern museum built between the front facade and back, where there is a wall listing the family names of people that were removed from Amsterdam. We found Rick's last name, Gumpertz, and Werner later told us that Edith Gumpertz was a cousin of his living in Amsterdam at the time, who died in the camps. We also found Lotta's family listed.
Rick and I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the city trying to find areas that we hadn't seen before. We discovered a China Town, a very touristy area near the Central Station, a farmer's market, and countless tiny streets filled with interesting shops.
Rick and I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the city trying to find areas that we hadn't seen before. We discovered a China Town, a very touristy area near the Central Station, a farmer's market, and countless tiny streets filled with interesting shops.
This evening we had dinner at an Indonesian restaurant. Those of you who know me well, know that I had stuff in the room to eat after, figuring I couldn't find anything on the menu I would like (especially white meat chicken!) Surprise, surprise...I did but don't think I'll be eager to go to any Indonesian restaurants when I get home!
We have an adventure planned for tomorrow outside of Amsterdam. Can't wait to tell you about it tomorrow night!
I am so moved just reading your accounts.
ReplyDeleteYou are so sweet to be sharing such details of your trip - hopefully it still feels like you are "away" even though you are tagging us along!! : ) I forgot to tell you that my great grandmother Katherine and my great grandpa Aloyius Wisjink sailed for America from Amsterdam in the late 1800s.
ReplyDeleteCool to have you guys walking those same streets that my relatives walked.
Love ya!