Friday, May 15, 2009

On to the South of France

Today we awoke at 6am in order to drive to Brussels to catch a 10:20am high speed train to Nice. It was a 7 hour train trip. Thank God to the people at the hotel in Bruge who packed some breakfast for us because there was a strike of the people who serve food on the train and there was no food or water available for us. The scenery was gorgeous however and it was made even better with my IPod and another book Alissa recommended.

We arrived in Nice hungry and exhausted. We rented a car at the train station and drove to our hotel in a small town west of Nice called St. Jean Cap-Ferrat. "The Lady" a.k.a. the GPS Rick brought along helped us find it. She has done a great job so far even though she totally butchers the names of the streets. I think she does better with French than Dutch though.


Werner stayed in this hotel 25 years ago. I don't think they have re-decorated since then but the view from our balcony makes one not mind. It's been raining here for 3 days so it is very hazy. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow.




We had dinner in a restaurant we found in the village. They were booked with reservations on the first floor so they put us by ourselves on the second floor. We had a wonderful waiter who read the menu to us in his beautiful French accent. Our view of the harbor was superb. I was too tired to even think about taking pictures. They had great music on though and I ended up singing and dancing around our private dining room since I was sick of sitting after the train ride and 2 hour dinner. It has been a truly memorable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment