Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Europe 2009


I can't believe we're finally here! The long plane ride was nothing compared to how cool Amsterdam is.


We arrived at the beautiful Ambassade Hotel http://ambassade-hotel.nl/ around 10:30am and promptly took a 4 hour nap. Then it was time for a walk. So glad I've been in training for the last few months as we walked around the city for around 4 hours. We just wandered not looking at the map. We walked past the Red Light District and the Anne Frank hiding place. Since there was no line we decided to go in (the museum that is).


I remember putting on the play in high school. I was surprised how big the annex they hid in was. The only thing really tiny were the staircases. It's still unfathomable how they could have hidden out for so long. The museum was quite moving but I wish it had been less "museumy" and more just how it was.


Besides the beautiful buildings, millions of bicyles, interesting sights, the thing that struck me most was how gorgeous the people are here. Everyone seems physically attractive in a natural, healthy way. Must be all the bike riding!
Okay, time to go to sleep. Hopefully when we wake up our bodies will have adjusted to Amsterdam time.




2 comments:

  1. Oh - I'm jealous. Reading Anne Frank's Diary was a highlight of my childhood. Sounds like a great first day! Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to see Anne Frank's hiding place. It would've made me sad though. That was one of my favorite stories.

    ReplyDelete